Let a be Alvin's age and e be Elga's age. We have the following equations
- a = e - 12 ←younger means we subtract
- a + e = 60
Plugging in (1) to (2), we get:
(e - 12) + e = 60
Grouping like terms, we get:
2e - 12 = 60
Add 12 to each side:
2e - 12 + 12 = 60 + 12
Cancelling the 12 on the left side, we get:
2e = 72
Divide each side by 2
Cancelling the 2 on the left side, we get:
e = 36
Calculate Alvin's age:
Plugging e = 36 into equation (1), we get
a = 36 - 12
a = 24
a = 24 and e = 36
How does the Age Difference Calculator work?
Determines the ages for an age difference word problem.
This calculator has 1 input.
What 2 formulas are used for the Age Difference Calculator?
- younger means we subtract
- older means we add
For more math formulas, check out our Formula Dossier
What 4 concepts are covered in the Age Difference Calculator?
- the length of time that a person has lived or a thing has existed
- age difference
- The amount of change between the ages of 2 people
- the result of one of the important mathematical operations, which is obtained by subtracting two numbers
- A period of 365 days - equal to 1 orbit of the Earth around the Sun
What are some example calculations for the Age Difference Calculator?
Tags:Add This Calculator To Your Website